Wednesday, July 18, 2012

{Road Trip} Day One - Memphis, TN

Last night we made the short trip up to my mom's house to shave about an hour off of our drive today and it helped a lot!  We left NC early, early, early and booked it straight across the great state of Tennessee all the way to Memphis!  With the help of changing times zones, we arrived in time to grab a late lunch (the "Bite Boxes" came in quite handy today!) at The Arcade Restaurant, a place that has earned the title of "Memphis' Oldest Cafe"...


The food was fine...  Our waitress was not so good...  They were out of B's t-shirt size...  BUT, we did get to eat at a famous Memphis landmark (they say that almost every movie filmed in Memphis has at least one scene filmed in the cafe or outside of it) and take advantage of a great photo-op in the booth that Elvis always used to sit in...


I like nerdy things like that!

After lunch, we headed over to the Memphis Zoo...  We love us some zoos...


This zoo had very little shade and it was H-O-T...  I mean, really HOT...  But, more on that later...

We beelined it over to see the pandas...


and the little ones rode a camel...


I have to say that I was really proud of them for doing it without either Hubby or me!  Hubby had ridden one in Morocco years ago on a college trip and didn't have any desire to do it again and I just plain didn't have any desire to do it at all!  Of course, one of us would've gone if they had really wanted us to, but they were completely fine!

After we finished up at the zoo, we drove around (while the little ones napped) and checked out some other places from our air-conditioned car!  Overall, we weren't extremely impressed with Memphis...  Hubby and I would like to come back and tour Graceland one day and maybe spend some time on Beale Street and spend a couple of nights at The Peabody, but other than that, I don't know...  I will say that crossing the Mississippi River into Arkansas was a really beautiful little drive.

Off to explore Arkansas tomorrow!

More {Road Trip} 2012 Fun

No comments:

Post a Comment